Dr Derek Williams, PhD, BMus, FTCL, LMusTCL, DipTeach, DipTchg
I welcome adult students aged 16 and over in Piano and Theory of Music including preparation for ABRSM and Trinity College grade 5 upwards and diploma examinations as well as for public performance. Styles include Classical, Jazz and Pop. I also offer instruction in Composition, Arranging and Music Technology.
For lessons in Music Technology, I can travel to your studio. All other subjects are taught either at my studio in central Edinburgh, or online via Skype.
I am a member of the European Piano Teachers' Association, the Edinburgh University Graduates Association, the Musicians' Union, the Music Arrangers' Guild of Australia, and the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers & Authors (BASCA).
Over the past 40 years, in addition to teaching privately, I have taught high school Music to A level , and since 2007 I have served on the Associated Staff of Edinburgh University as tutor and lecturer in Composition and Orchestration to Masters level. During the previous 15 years, I was also Examiner and Adviser for the New South Wales Board of Studies.
Fee: £40 per hour, reducing to £30 if lessons are purchased in advance. First interview is free of charge.
Details on website.
I currently reside in Scotland, where I graduated PhD in music at The University of Edinburgh, and where I am now on the Associated Staff as Lecturer/Tutor in Composition and Orchestration.
- EPTA (European Piano Teachers' Association)
- BASCA (British Association of Songwriters, Composers & Authors
- Musicians Union (UK)
- EUGA (Edinburgh University Graduates Association)
- MAGA (Music Arrangers Guild of Australia)
- APRA (Australasian Performing Right Association Limited)
- RGS (Royal Geographical Society)
Music tuition is offered both online over Skype and in person for Edinburgh residents:
- Classical, Popular & Jazz
- Amateur to university level
- Qualified, experienced tutor
Individual and group tuition available in:
• Piano & Theory of Music
• Setting up your studio
• Using Sibelius\u00ae
• Using Cubase\u00ae
• DBS Certified for all ages
• PhD - The University of Edinburgh (2012)
• BMus - The University of Auckland (1973)
• FTCL - Fellow of Trinity College of Music, London (1977)
• LMusTCL - Licentiate in Music, Trinity College of Music, London (1976)
• DipTeach - The New South Wales Department of Education & Training (1997)
• DipTchg - New Zealand Department of Education (1982)
• The University of Edinburgh (2007-present): Lecturer, Tutor, Examiner in Orchestration and
Composition (Associated Staff)
• The New South Wales Board of Studies (1989-2006): Examiner & Advisor in Music, Software Design &
Development, Information Processes & Technology, Computing Studies
• Sydney Community College (1995-2006): Lecturer in Music Technology
• The New South Wales Department of Education & Training (1986-2006): Teacher of Music, English,
Software Design & Development, Information Processes & Technology, Computing Studies
• The New Zealand Ministry of Education (1979-1985): Teacher of Music, English, Computer Awareness
• New Zealand School of Music (1974-1978) - Principal, Teacher of Piano & Theory of Music
• The University of Auckland (1973-1974) - Lecturer, Tutor, Examiner in Music
• Composer, Arranger, Orchestrator, Conductor, Producer, Musician for Film, Television, Theatre, Dance and Recording (refer Derek Williams' website)
• For credits and references, please refer to Bio, Portfolio and Testimonials from the Derek Williams link on the website's Contact page.